In March 2012, we featured Seattle's growing fashion influence on the Seattle Business cover:
Seattle's high-tech, biotech and aerospace clusters are familiar to us all, but mention that the region also has an impressive fashion-design cluster and you're likely to raise a few eyebrows. After all, isn't this the place best known for Gore-Tex and grunge?
Turns out that Seattle ranks fourth—behind New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco—as a major area of fashion design and apparel talent. FULL ARTICLE
Now with plans for a Seattle Garment District in gear, that growth is at full force:
SEATTLE – August 28, 2013 – Seattle Fashion Incubator (SFI) has formed a Garment District Advisory Board to help guide the formation of a Seattle Garment District. The Garment District Advisory Board will work in close collaboration with the Office of Community and Economic Development at the City of Renton, Washington, to redevelop Downtown Renton as an Arts, Garment and Maker’s District for the region.
Members of the Garment District Advisory Board include:
• Neepaporn ‘A’ Boungiaktha – Vice President – Trade Development Alliance of Greater Seattle
• Rose Dennis - Fashion Executive
• Joshua Dirks – Founder – Project Bionic
• Stephen Gerritson – Vice President – Economic Development Council of Seattle & King County
• Adriane Holter – International Business Consultant
• Mark Johnson – Architect – AIA, LEEDap, BD+C
• Edna Kainz – Owner – EKCreativeWorks
• Ronald Leamon – Costume Designer
• Sydney Mintle – Founder – Gossip & Glamour
• Jonnie R. Rettele – Designer/Owner – Nonnie Threads, Inc.
The Garment District Advisory Board will play a key role in developing a regional apparel cluster growth strategy that supports a Seattle Garment District. Central to this strategy is increased access to wholesale suppliers and low minimum manufacturing for Seattle artisans.
The development of this growth strategy will help keep and attract apparel businesses in Seattle. Learn more about SFI’s work by visiting www.seattlefashionincubator.org.
Seattle Fashion Incubator intends to be a unifying symbol for the fashion and apparel industry in the region. We will offer accessible and affordable design space, access to capital, specialty goods & equipment, professional mentorship and industry specific presentation space.
Adriane Holter at email@example.com
Steven Paul Matsumoto at firstname.lastname@example.org